Academic Visitors at REES
Would you like to spend a term (semester) or more at Oxford as part of our Russian and East European Studies (REES) unit? Through our Academic Visitor scheme you can spend time in Oxford, affiliated to REES, in order to pursue a relevant independent research project. As an Academic Visitor you will be able to access many of the research and learning resources of Oxford University and will have full access to the events and activities across the Oxford School of Global and Area Studies (OSGA) of which REES is part. Please note that to become an Academic Visitor you should be an Academic, in post at another university or related institution and not a student. Doctoral students interested in visiting REES should apply to the Recognised Student programme.
What We Expect of You
We ask all our visitors to agree to the following:
- To contribute to the research environment of REES.
- To participate in the RESC/REES weekly seminar series.
- To provide a short profile about yourself and your research activity that may be added to the REES website.
- To be willing to present your work in a REES seminar.
What You Can Expect from Us
REES is able to provide the following:
- Introduction to REES and OSGA staff.
- A university card, which gives access to the Bodleian Libraries of the University, including online journals.
- University of Oxford email address.
- Inclusion in relevant mailing lists advertising events related to Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Access to the Russian Library at St Antony’s College.
- Involvement in the St Antony’s RESC Monday evening seminar and two post seminar guest night dinners per academic term.
- Access to the OSGA common room
- Access to teaching rooms in OSGA for seminar events if required and subject to availability.
REES does not provide salary or other financial payments to visitors. Visitors should apply for research funding schemes through their own institutions. The visitor will also be responsible for their travel, accommodation, visa fees and all maintenance costs.
The bench fee (affiliation charge) for Academic Visitors to REES during 2023/24 is £600 per academic term or £1,750 for a full academic year. Additional weeks (or short visits) are charged at the rate of £75.
The visitor programme exists to facilitate links and collaboration with other universities, governments and organisations, both in the UK and overseas, and to allow academics and practitioners the opportunity to collaborate in research with our School’s academics. Visitors, who must be nominated and hosted by a permanent academic member of staff at the School, may be associated with the School for different purposes and for varying periods. All visitor applications must be reviewed and approved by the REES management committee in advance of any visit.
Before completing an application form to become a visitor, please read the OSGA Visitors policy & procedure and familiarise yourself with the Visitor application process document. In particular, it is recommended that prospective applicants consider who at REES might be able to offer appropriate support as an Academic Host and contact them for advice before applying to the Academic Visitor Programme.
Please ensure that you submit a complete application with all the required information.
Once you have submitted your application, your identified Academic Host and the REES Administrator will be asked to review before it is submitted to the REES Management Committee for approval.
Visitors should note that applications will need to be submitted by the following deadlines for the academic year 2023-24 to enable the REES Management Committees to approve applications:
- Monday 25 September 2023 (Michaelmas Term Programme Management Committees)
- Monday 1 January 2024 (Hilary Term Programme Management Committees)
- Monday 8 April 2024 (Trinity Term Programme Management Committees)
However, visitors requiring a visa and/or ATAS clearance should note that their visit start date may be impacted and/or delayed by the visa/ATAS process.